Privacy and Fundraising Policies
We respect your privacy and the value of your information.
Donor Privacy Code
Making Changes Association (MCA) respects your privacy and protects the integrity of your personal information. We adhere to all legislative requirements with respect to protecting privacy. We do not rent, sell or trade our mailing lists. Your name, address and other information you provide will be used to deliver services and to keep you informed and up-to-date on the activities of MCA, including programs, services, special events, funding needs, opportunities to volunteer or to give. If at any time you wish to receive less mail or wish to be removed from any of our communications, simply contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
MCA requires that you provide us with personal information in order to support those we serve through the charitable donation process. Additionally, accurate and appropriate information must be recorded prior to the issue of a tax receipt for income tax purposes. Anyone from whom we collect such information should expect that it will be carefully protected.
Website and Electronic Commerce
For on-line donations MCA utilizes the services of Canada Helps and/or PayPal, both highly respected organizations in the secure execution and management of on-line transactions and privacy protection. At no time does MCA have access to your financial or credit information.
Ethical Fund-Raising & Financial Accountability Code
- We act promptly to provide the information requested in its most current form.
- We provide information that adds to the public’s understanding and confidence in our operations and fundraising methods.
- Our financial statements and annual reports are accessible, user-friendly, complete and audited for accuracy.
- Our financial statements accurately present the financial activities and overall financial position of our organization.
- Our financial statements are prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles in all material respects, and with all other guidelines adopted by the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants.
- If we release a financial summary or extract, it is clearly related to and consistent with our audited financial statements.
By donating publicly-listed securities to MCA instead of cash, donors can help fund our programs and services while enjoying the benefits of this preferred tax treatment. Donors can expect to receive a charitable tax receipt equal to the trading price of the securities on the date of transfer and pay no tax on increases in value prior to the donation. For more information, please visit Canada Revenue Agency. We strongly encourage donor’s to consult with their Financial Advisor when making the decision to donate securities.
Tax Receipts for In-Kind Donations
MCA issues tax-receipts for the in-kind donation of goods based on fair market value of the item donated. A current receipt for the purchase of items, or official bill of lading for the item is required by MCA to establish value. For items that are not new and over $1,000 in value that are sold in the retail market, this value will be used in issuing a receipt. For items not sold in the retail market, an appraisal of the item will be provided to the Society at the time of the donation.
Tax Tips for Charitable Giving